Year 10 and 11 GCSE
- Students currently in Year 9
Students from other schools often transfer to Cardiff Academy for Years 10 and 11 for a wide variety of reasons. Common reasons include: insufficient individual support due to large class sizes; disruption caused by classmates at school; lack of flexibility in regards to subject combinations; and insufficient academic support for brighter students. Those who make this decision to move to Cardiff Academy thrive and go on to exceed expectations when they receive their GCSE results. Most then return to study their A-levels with us prior to attending university.
GCSE Subject Choice
In Years 10 and 11, students at Cardiff Academy follow a core curriculum consisting of the following six subjects:
Biology | Chemistry | Physics | English Language | English Literature | Mathematics
Students may then choose up to four additional subjects from the following list:
Art | Photography | French | Geography | German | History |ICT | Law | Psychology | Sociology
Other subjects may be possible on request depending upon demand and teacher availability.
- Small class sizes with no more than ten students per class
- Expert teaching from subject specialists, most of whom are also examiners
- High degree of individual academic and pastoral support
- Regular exam-based testing and feedback
- Flexible subject combinations